Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why i've been MIA

I'm behind on posting this week. My family is currently recovering for the tragic loss of my 32-year old cousin. It was sudden and no one was prepared for what it would bring. She battled her demons for the past few years, and we all tried to help, but in the end, her health just couldn't fight off the stomach virus that took her.

It's devastating to lose anyone, especially when it's not expected. But this loss is especially painful. She always acted like an older sister to me growing up. It's ironic that towards the end it seemed to be the reverse.

This event has really thrown me out of whack with my life. I had just finished my MAN FREE lent, about to run out of the gates, and I was stopped with this huge blockade. It's now been over a week. I've gone home. Cleaned out her apartment. Stood in line at her wake. Spoke at her service. And it still isn't real. I'm having trouble getting back to reality. I was supposed to go on a date last night and just couldn't bring myself to it. I think I just need more time to heal. The fact that I didn't push myself to go out shows me that maybe I did really learn, First Comes Me.

I've included my speech that I shared about my cousin below. I hope it inspires you all to adopt and rescue an animal.

One thing that anyone who knew Megan understood about her was her passion for animals. Whether she was rescuing them from the street, the ocean or the local shelter, her heart knew no bounds. She could never bare to see an animal suffer and would go to any length to fight for them. When I look back at all the time we spent together, there are countless moments when her heart superceded the rest of ours. Once while fishing off our grandparents dock in Florida, Meghan was brought to tears after she reeled in a puffer fish and saw the hook stuck in its tongue. While we all rolled our eyes at the time and joked that they now had matching tongue piercings, I realize how much compassion it takes to feel that way for a fish. 

Her love for animals proved further in the way she cared for her rescues, jack, Blanche and Finn. While going through photos this week, we found way more pictures of animal birthday parties than of her own.   There a few times in our lives when we have the opportunity to learn what has truly made us who we are. Unfortunately most of these times are sparked by tragedy. It was clear since I was a little girl, following Meghan around the house at family gatherings that she was like an older sister to me. It wasn't just in the way that little girls look up to older girls, wanting to be like them, she always returned the feelings, doing what she could to fill that role in my life. I could share all the stories of our fun (and even fights). From Thanksgiving plays we performed in my parent’s living room to planning our weddings on trips to NH. But I want to share her legacy that has truly shaped a big aspect of my life. And so I bring it back to animals. 

Over the past 8 years, I've become a big advocate for adoption myself. Fostering, volunteering and even adopting a little munchkin of my own. And as I have looked back this week, and I can only attribute this passion of mine to Meghan. She never told me to do any of it. She just showed me how we should all live. With open hearts for those that cannot help themselves. And while this is only a drop of the sweet and caring way that Meghan lived her life, it's one that I will cherish and promise to carry on her in memory.  I take comfort and knowing she is now in a place where she can look after all the animals. She’s giving hugs to all our past family pets, and will be there to greet ours now with open arms when they move on.  In return, I promise to take care of her mission down here, taking care of everyone she loved, whether 4 or two legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment